What is Wrong with What China Makes
Creating American jobs is just one reason to bring production back to the United States from China. What are the other reasons? Try safety and human rights.
It's no surprise that Apple's audits found labor, safety and other abuses by suppliers in China this past year, even though USA Today reports that auditors praised iPhone manufacturer Foxconn (where several suicides took place in the past year).
Rock climbing is definitely a sport where safety should come first. But would you trust Chinese manufacturing to prevent your fall? Climbers beware, because there is now faux rock climbing equipment coming from China that imitates the reputable Petzl and fails under 70% of test loads.
And, not that we're advocating smoking, but Altria Group, the manufacturers of Marlboro cigarettes are currently in the midst of seven lawsuits with online Chinese retailers selling counterfeit cigarettes.
Related recent Blogs
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014