Scott Paul in POLITICO: "Deep dissatisfaction" with China's policies and U.S. government's "tepid" response.
Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping, expected to be China’s next president, arrives in Washington today.
In a new op-ed in POLITICO, Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Executive Director Scott Paul says the Obama administration and international business community are "ready to go out of their way to make sure his visit is free of public controversy."
However, Paul wants Xi to know that the American public is greatly unhappy with China's predatory trade policies.
And there is also deep voter unrest about the U.S. government’s "tepid response" to Beijing's actions.
“[W]e must… hold [China] to account for its currency manipulation, mercantilism and gross violations of trade obligations that are robbing us of jobs and wealth."
In his op-ed, Paul urged President Obama to hold China accountable for its currency manipulation, mercantilism, and gross violations of trade obligations:
Today, we are in a serious race with China over supercomputing, innovation and anti-satellite weapons technology. China is not merely the key U.S. supplier of cheap toys, clothing and electronics: Its government is also one of our foreign financiers. China achieved this status by defying the free market and its international obligations toward more open trade and investment.
Related recent Blogs
- A Boy Scout badge in advanced manufacturing? • by TGarland • 03/10/2014
- Donald Trump addresses CPAC crowds on key AAM issues • by LRaup • 03/07/2014
- March 7, 2014: Weak #MFG job growth and a big trade deficit earn Obama the saddest of trombones • by mmcmullan • 03/07/2014
- It wasn't all weather: What's behind the weak manufacturing jobs report. • by admin • 03/07/2014
- A Berry good story on American-made footwear • by mmcmullan • 03/06/2014
- White House economic adviser Gene Sperling shares words of wisdom on his way out • by TGarland • 03/05/2014
- EPI: Address currency manipulation and you address the jobs deficit • by mmcmullan • 03/05/2014
- A first look at the president's budget proposal for 2015 • by mmcmullan • 03/04/2014
- The U.S. needs a stronger domestic supply chain in the event of an attack • by TGarland • 03/04/2014
- Campaigns and political parties take note: We've got the key to attracting voters • by LDonia • 03/03/2014