July 20, 2011 Headlines: China Currency and U.S. Debt, Another Foxconn "Suicide," and More
NYT: How do you run for re-election in a weak economy?
The Hill: The Ways and Means Committee will look at the Value-Added Tax, as part of a plan to tax consumption, not income.
WSJ: China will begin looking for mineral wealth below the sea floor.
What does the potential downgrading of U.S. debt do to China and their currency manipulation? (USAT) As this article puts it, “An undervalued Yuan is the glue that powers the world’s No. 2 economy” (Bloomberg). Meanwhile, China could potentially change the exchange rate again (Bloomberg) and they’re urging the U.S. to solidify confidence in its debt (Reuters).
Bloomberg: Mitt Romney: job creator or job cutter?
Reuters: Another Foxconn worker supposedly “falls to death” at a plant in southern China.
R&D Magazine: Whistling while you work in Dearborn, MI.
MSNBC: China’s fake Apple Store.
Naked Capitalism: China’s mercantilist economy drives up the trade surpluses of so-called “debtor” nations.
Related recent Blogs
- IMTS 2014: The View From AAM's Booth • by mmcmullan • 09/12/2014
- Sneak Peek: Titan-American Built Star Titan Gilroy Chats with Scott Paul about the Made-in-China Bay Bridge • by elizabethbb • 09/10/2014
- Visit AAM This Week at the International Manufacturing Technology Show • by TGarland • 09/07/2014
- Manufacturing sector gains zero jobs in August: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/05/2014
- China trade deficit hits new record in July: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) statement. • by scapozzola • 09/04/2014
- Joe Biden Praises Apprenticeships at NH Shipyard • by mmcmullan • 09/03/2014
- We’re Celebrating Factory Man — and You Could Win a Copy! • by elizabethbb • 09/03/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014