Experts think reshoring is not yet a trend
"The next president of the United States, whoever he is, will end his term with fewer Americans working in manufacturing than he inherited.”
Writing for Bloomberg Businessweek, David J. Lynch quotes (above) a prediction from London School of Economics professor Tim Leunig.
It’s impossible to know if this prediction will come true, but competing pieces of data make one thing certain – where reshoring is concerned there is no certainty.
Earlier this year, President Obama cited instances of jobs returning to the United States, including manufacturing positions at General Electric and Caterpillar. The President also mentioned, as we at ManufactureThis have, something that a Boston Consulting Group survey indicated:
"37 percent of manufacturers with sales of more than $1 billion and almost half of those with more than $10 billion ‘plan to or are actively considering bringing back production from China to the U.S.’”
While this all sounds like good news, Lynch thinks we should step back and take a look at the bigger picture.
He suggests that for every company that brings jobs back to the United States, there’s a company shipping its jobs away. It’s this insight, coupled with the fact that some American companies are pulling jobs out of China only to send them to other foreign countries that leads people like Professor Leunig to make predictions like the one above.
Read more here.
Photo taken by flickr user joguldi and used with Creative Commons license.
Related recent Blogs
- QOTD: AAM President Scott Paul talks young workers in manufacturing • by TGarland • 12/19/2013
- December 19, 2013: New gig for Baucus? • by mmcmullan • 12/19/2013
- Missed our #ShopAmerica twitter chat? We've got you covered! • by LDonia • 12/18/2013
- ITC made the right call on hot-rolled steel imports • by mmcmullan • 12/18/2013
- WE ARE ... made in Pennsylvania • by TGarland • 12/18/2013
- December 18, 2013: Selling the trade agenda • by mmcmullan • 12/18/2013
- #ShopAmerica: From handbags and dress shoes to tires and paintball -- an assortment of #MadeinUSA gift ideas • by LDonia • 12/17/2013
- ITC Rules in Favor of America's Steel Industry: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement • by scapozzola • 12/17/2013
- AAM photo caption contest: What are Obama and his trade team talking about? • by mmcmullan • 12/17/2013
- New report shows manufacturing is rebounding, but could use a legislative leg up • by LDonia • 12/17/2013