China's Economy and China's Living Conditions Don't Match Up
China manufactures many first world conveniences. For example, the iPhone, iPad, iPod etc. But anyone who has been to China will more than likely tell you that living conditions there don't match up to the high-tech, "luxury" products they export.
Take Karl Pilkington of "An Idiot Abroad," a show on the Science Channel where a comedian (Rickey Gervais) sends his "idiot" friend Karl to different countries to see his blunt, hilarious reactions to other cultures.
Karl had this to say about his experiences in China:
I didn't think it was going to be like this. I thought it was where they made the iPod. I think I have the wrong place because this isn't a place where they need an iPod. I think they need a toilet roll first. I think it's weird because whenever you buy stuff it says Made in China. I think they would be using it here first.
On a blog, Evolving Excellence, Bill Waddell posts about Karl's adventures, and the deeper meaning behind his reaction to Chinese culture. The fact that the majority of Chinese citizens live in these "wretched" conditions, coupled with the fact that many who used to sing the praises of outsourcing to China, are silent as China's unstable, teetering economy is struggling with currency issues and inflation:
Related recent Blogs
- More Exports Are Nice, but Let’s Not Forget about Surging Imports • by elizabethbb • 09/02/2014
- Budweiser Made in America Festival Lives Up to Its Name • by TGarland • 09/02/2014
- Labor Day Travel a Reminder Why We Need Infrastructure Investment • by elizabethbb • 08/29/2014
- Terri Lynn Land’s Transportation Plan is… Interesting • by elizabethbb • 08/28/2014
- Made in China: “A Mistake That Will Be Hard to Turn Around For Decades” • by elizabethbb • 08/27/2014
- American Workers Remind Us What Labor Day Is All About • by TGarland • 08/26/2014
- Burger King Brouhaha Shows Tax Reform Debate Will Be Potent • by mmcmullan • 08/26/2014
- The Fourth Option: A National Manufacturing Strategy • by mmcmullan • 08/25/2014
- ITC Finds South Korean Dumping of OCTG Pipe: Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) Statement. • by scapozzola • 08/22/2014
- Trade Data Pours Cold Water on "Rising Star" Outlook for American Manufacturing • by mmcmullan • 08/21/2014