China's Economy and China's Living Conditions Don't Match Up
China manufactures many first world conveniences. For example, the iPhone, iPad, iPod etc. But anyone who has been to China will more than likely tell you that living conditions there don't match up to the high-tech, "luxury" products they export.
Take Karl Pilkington of "An Idiot Abroad," a show on the Science Channel where a comedian (Rickey Gervais) sends his "idiot" friend Karl to different countries to see his blunt, hilarious reactions to other cultures.
Karl had this to say about his experiences in China:
I didn't think it was going to be like this. I thought it was where they made the iPod. I think I have the wrong place because this isn't a place where they need an iPod. I think they need a toilet roll first. I think it's weird because whenever you buy stuff it says Made in China. I think they would be using it here first.
On a blog, Evolving Excellence, Bill Waddell posts about Karl's adventures, and the deeper meaning behind his reaction to Chinese culture. The fact that the majority of Chinese citizens live in these "wretched" conditions, coupled with the fact that many who used to sing the praises of outsourcing to China, are silent as China's unstable, teetering economy is struggling with currency issues and inflation:
Related recent Blogs
- An American-made case to protect your not so American-made phone • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Fact Check: Standing Up Against Unfair Trade, Kentucky Edition • by TGarland • 07/25/2014
- Strengthened Workforce Training is Great — and We Can Do More • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Americans Want Trade Agreements that Do Not Undermine Manufacturing Jobs, New Poll Finds • by TGarland • 07/23/2014
- Highlights from AAM's Trip to Detroit for Netroots Nation 2014 • by elizabethbb • 07/23/2014
- Toxic Fast Food: Just the Latest Scandal Involving Made-in-China Products. • by elizabethbb • 07/22/2014
- Drink Up with a Made in America Tervis Tumbler • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- Foxx Calls on Congress to Pass Long-Term Fix to the Highway Trust Fund • by TGarland • 07/21/2014
- Back From Detroit, Eyes on Washington • by elizabethbb • 07/21/2014
- So Excellent, So Bodacious: Check Out Some American-made Smartphone Style • by mmcmullan • 07/18/2014